Thursday, June 10, 2010

Table Mountain



Well I had a few objectives for today, and I'm pretty sure that I got all of them accomplished. We found the Fan Fest that is closest to us(half a mile) and it was PACKED. Mind you, there wasn't even a game going on. Everywhere you go you hear the "vuvuzelas" that appear to be given out as a birthright here in Cape Town. Not even the grocery store is immune to them firing off. At Fan Fest, I had a hot dog although it wasn't too similar to an American dog. It had small, under-cooked fries lining the bun and a light "tomato sauce" that was more pink than red. Anyway, I ended up giving the last half to a beggar on the street. She asked me to buy her something to eat. I was testing her when I told her that I would give her whatever I didn't eat. She passed the test. She stood right beside me until I have her the left-overs. Cultural note: if someone asks for money in the US for food, they are going to buy booze. In South Africa, they actually are asking for food.

Afterwards, we made our way through some open air markets, and I picked up a South African scarf and hat. Both of which will be very functional souvenirs as it's about 50 at night with a constant breeze coming in off the oceans. After some soccer reading, we were off to Table Mountain. A 45 Rand cab drive found us at the foot of the tram station waiting to take us about 3,000 ft. straight up the mountain. While in line, a Frenchman offered Brent and me a ticket. I thought he was joking, and holding out a ticket stub. I asked him in French if he was serious, and surprisingly asked if I were French. I told him I was American, but that I spoke enough to get by. He was so taken by this that he offered me the tickets for free. But after some coaxing by his more entrepreneurial friend, they charged us 100 Rand. It would have cost us 320 Rand. So, people, multi-lingualism has its advantages. Particularly abroad. 8)

Once atop Table Mountain, the view just overtakes you. I fell in love with it right away. You can see the waves crashing on the rocky shore that juts out all along the coast. A coast which has claimed over 650 shipwrecks in last 400 years. The waves look to be moving in slow motion you are so far away from them. We then had lunch at the cafe which overlooks the view. So far, I've only been able to put up one pic per post, so it's not going to do it justice. They are even campaigning to have it added as a wonder of the world. It has my vote!

We are about to get into our last night with no football. I love this place because at our hostel, I was actually asked to not use the word "soccer". If you use that word, you have to take what's called a "penalty shot". No matter where you are, if you're a football fan, you're never alone.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Drew Boy, It's Aunt Dar, I hope I am doing this correctly. I am thinking of you each day. I am so proud of you on this journey, especially when you shared your food with the person in need. I hope you have a great time and return with fresh knowledge for your students! Love you....

    ReplyDelete