Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Peninsula Tour


Today I saw something truly amazing. I traveled down to the Cape of Good Hope and stood at the lighthouse and saw the Indian and Atlantic Oceans seperated by a mountain that was about a football field wide. Of course my camera ran out as I got to the top, but anothe American took some of me and is supposed to email them to me. I will post when I get them. What's amazing is the difference between the two oceans. I've always thought it was strange that they change the names of the oceans even though, technically, it's all one big ocean. Today made me understnad why. The Atlantic is colder and thus more conducive to fish and the Indian is warmer and more conducive for whales. The Atlantic is a piercing teal-blue as it rolls in off the rocks that ruined many a sea-goers' voyage. The Indian is more of a deep dark cobalt blue. It was phenomenal. This is the Indian Ocean on the right here.

They let us out in the Cape Point National Park, and we rode bikes down in through the park. It was absolutley stunning with the mountains on your left and ocean on your right. There are wild baboons and ostriches up and down the road. A baboon actually attacked a guy that sat next to me on the trip. No matter how many times you tell humans not to feed the animals. . .they feed them. Following directions is definitely a life skill.

Neverthless, it was outstanding. We also stopped at Boulder's Beach in Simon's Town and visited a penguin colony. They live, just the like the humans here in Cape Town, up in the hills and walk down to the beach everyday for sun and fun. I couldn't really get a good pic of one, but I'm posting the best that I got.

Another cool part of the day was listening to the Bafana Bafana game on the radio and riding through town. When they scored, the cars started honking their horns and people came running out of shops blowing their vuvuzelas. As I sit here on Long Street, the party has already begun. It's 6:23 pm right now. It will go for about 10 hours. Not kidding.

I fly out tomorrow morning for the US game in Pretoria. Go US!

4 comments:

  1. that is amazing looks lot like BIg Sur- love you and glad you are getting to see such an amazing part of the world. love hope

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Hope: it does look a bit like Big Sur.

    Enjoy your vivid and thoughtful descriptions. You do have a wonderful way with words. Thanks for sharing your trip with us.

    --Mike

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Hope as well
    I love you to man!!!

    I bet you had fun at the US Algeria game

    ReplyDelete