Friday, June 25, 2010

Last Post


Well friends, it is with mixed emotions that I write my last post. It's currently 11:30 am here in Cape Town, and I'm headed home tomorrow, Saturday, at 6:30 pm. So today will be filled with shopping and watching the remaining first round games. I will miss South Africa, but not as much as I will appreciate being back with my family and friends.

Let's start with Wednesday morning when I left for Joberg. I was supposed to have a shuttle pick me up from LSB(Long Street Backpackers). I was up plenty early, but there was only one taxi parked on the street. I waited until closer to 7:05, my scheduled time, and then I went to wake the taxi driver up. I asked him if he was supposed to take me to the airport, and he simply repeated the word "airport". The conversation went on just like this for about 5 minutes before I finally said, "Take me to the airport please." He said R250, and I said R200, and he agreed and we were off. After getting to Joberg, I realized that I would never come back to this city. It was like the city had been burned to a toast. Anyway, compared to Cape Town, it was let's just say. . .unattractive.

So I find a taxi driver who said he would take me to Pretoria for R650. That's quite a bit of money, about 80 dollars US, but it ended up being about fair for the 40 minute ride. Of course, Morris, that was his name, didn't know Pretoria at all. So it ended up being an hour and a half long ride which was fine because I got to see all over Pretoria which has some beautiful homes.

When I arrived at Word of Mouth Backpackers, I thought I was sent there to do background research for the tv show Hoarders. Two old South African white men ran the place along with a huge dog name Kinsah. There were about 7 other Americans out front getting their pre-game on. One, Jacques, was dressed as Superman. Another named Jeff from Manhattan was dressed as Captain America in a full body suit. So I called Nick and Billy to see where they were going to meet up and they basically didn't know exactly where, so I went with the superhero crew.

We ended up at a place called Homebaze. There were probably about 3-400 Americans there and everyone had on at least one piece of US paraphernalia. We were singing/screaming for about 3 hours before game time. Note the first and last time I painted my face for anything. It was horribly itchy, and I spent 30 minutes before the game even started washing it off. Not easy.

So the Lotfus Stadium was much better than Green Point. It is really just a rugby pitch so it is much smaller and older. I personally like both when I'm seeing a band or sports. Plus I had a category 1 ticket, which, is the only way to go people. The other seats are just throwing money away. I sat next to a South African family that had traveled out from Joberg. I told them right when I sat down that I was going to be screaming a lot, but that I was not a soccer hooligan. I also informed them that as soon as the US scored, that I was going to be doing a really funny white man dance.

In the 91st minute Landon Donovan, our savior, scored and I did indeed dance and hug every American that I could find. It was euphoric. The 25 hours of flying to SA, the separate flight/shuttle/taxi/backpacker were all worth with it for one shot. After the game, every American fan stayed and sang chants of USA and the players and coaches all came to every corner of the stadium to clap and show appreciation. It was even noted in the Joberg paper the next day. Also, Bill Clinton was at the game, and I could see him from where I was sitting. Weird.

Pictured here are 2 young kids from Joberg. I started chatting with them while in line. Somehow I got the sense that they weren't able to get enough for the both of them, so I told them to pick out whatever they wanted, and that I would pay for it. Their eyes got big and then asked if they could have a hot dog. I told them again, "Whatever you want." So they each got a hot dog and cokes. I asked them if they were in school and they said yes. I told them they the only reason I had the ability to travel to South Africa and buy tickets to World Cup matches and hot dogs and cokes for people I don't know was because I got an education. I also told them that it was easier for me than it will be for them, but that if they ever want to have all the things that they want, they must educate themselves. Was it heavy-handed, maybe. Was I simplifying a far more complicated situation than I can really know, probably. But it felt right. Look at their faces. What do you think?

So the next day, I got a ride back to Joberg with Capitan America and Superman. That saved me R550. I gave them 100 just for gas and nicety. I was there about 5 hours early so I shaved and washed up in the bathroom like Tom Hanks in The Terminal or something. I also bought and started reading the book Freakonomics. Pretty good so far.

I got back to Cape Town at 7. Was on a bus to the city by 7:15. Was downtown by 7:45. Was in the stadium by 8 and got a drink and a hot dog and sat down as they blew the whistle to start the Netherlands/Cameroon game. It was great to see Eto'o, Robben and the slew of other stars play in person.


The Dutch won 2-1 and that place was a sea of ORANGE. They are the only country in my opinion that travel like the English. After the game, I headed back to my hostel which feels almost like home now. But not for long.

Thanks for following along. I hope you had even one tenth of the enjoyment that I had on this trip. I knew it would be life changing, or at least mindset changing, and it has surpassed my wildest dreams. South Africa is NOT dangerous. Not anymore than downtown Dallas. South Africans are just like anybody else who wants the world to see them for who they are and not what is fed via the media. It is the most beautiful place I've been in all of my travels. Do yourself a favor and come here if at all possible. You won't regret it.

1 comment:

  1. Have a safe trip home. It appears to have been a great experience and I enjoyed reading all about it.

    ReplyDelete