Monday, June 21, 2010

Last Night/Portugal


A couple of American friends came into Cape Town on Saturday, so we met for dinner and then a little club called Zula across from where I'm staying. Anyway, it was nice to be around people that I know from home.

Here is a pic from the game that I went to today. Portugal beat North Korea 7-0 which was just pure football enjoyment to watch. I felt sorry for the North Koreans a little bit, but it was one of the most fun international games I've ever seen live.

Afterwards, I had lunch with Gaytan and a couple from Singapore who are staying at my hostel. We went to Den Anker again, but I was very disappointed this time. I ordered Tomate Crevettes Grises which was supposed to be shrimp stuffed inside tomatoes, but it just wasn't what I expected I guess. Anyway, we accidentally only tipped the waiter 5%. So he comes back to the table and informs us that if we were pleased with the service that it is customary to tip 10%. Well, I've heard both that you do and don't tip in Africa, so I was offended that he was so bold. In thinking about it, maybe he was just trying to explain how things "work" here in South Africa. I would be interested to hear what others feel to see if I should feel guilty.

Anyway, I'm excited about watching Spain tonight, and then I'm off on the peninsula tour tomorrow since it's supposed to be quite nice. To the right is a pic of Kwak, an amazing Belgian beer that comes in that funky glass. They call it Kwak because that's the noise it makes because of the ball at the bottom of the glass. It comes out in a flood and makes that sound supposedly. Just a little trivia.

No comments:

Post a Comment