Friday, June 11, 2010

Bafana Bafana


Well, for all the people that think that this World Cup is just about sport here for South Africa should have been with me yesterday. I felt I got to witness history as I shared the opening ceremonies with about 3,000 Capetonians. Black and white. All wearing the Bafana Bafana green and yellow jersey. Along with a vuvuzela, every single person had on something that said South Africa on it. I got to the tent that had a huge screen projecting the game 3 hours before the game. This was not a moment too early, either. We had to sit on the ground in front of all the picnic tables as everything was already taken by the time we got there. Out of nowhere, all them just started blowing their vuvuzelas and started dancing and chanting Ole, Ole, Ole as a group. Mind you, this is just pure excitement that a) the World Cup is about to start b) the Bafana Bafana is actually IN the World Cup c) The whole world is getting to see a different side of Africa and it's a chance to dispel the many media driven myths about Africa.

After many missed opportunities by the Mexicans, SA put in a picture perfect blast from the left side on one of a few counter-attack opportunities that they had. You could not have placed a better ball into the net. The place went BERSERK! Sorry Mexican friends, I was celebrating like SA was my new home country. It was electrifying. This is what people that don't follow soccer will never understand. They will never understand how a goal can unite a country. No touchdown, 3-pointer or home run could ever do what a goal can. And that goal was a goal I will never forget.

The Mexicans eventually equalized, but SA got a draw out of what will be there biggest test in this first round. After watching the Uruguay/France game, the Bafana have a legitimate shot of making it out of their group. Something that nobody really could have foreseen.

Which brings us to the next event of the day: Green Point Stadium. I will try to post what pics I got of it, but it is a gorgeous stadium. We had decent seats. We were about 20 rows up from the pitch on one of the corner flags. It was pretty amazing to see some of my favorite players(Henry, Ribery, Forlan, Anelka, etc.) Despite the star power, it was a pretty awful match. Nobody could really retain any possession and the only legitimate chances came in the waning moments as Henry and Malouda were finally subbed in. I have no idea why Malouda wasn't starting. Maybe that's why the French and the players aren't really pleased with their coach. But until I get a call from Sarkozy and the French FA, I guess I will just have to keep posting my opinions here on this blog. 8)

Before the match, we were hanging at the Victoria and Albert Waterfront. A sensational place with loads of seafood restaurants sprinkled around the infrastructure of a functioning modern day port. The weather was sublime. 55 and a slight breeze off the ocean. I met a really nice Capetonian family of 3. The parents were probably approaching 70 and their son was probably 13. We spent about 30 minutes discussing American politics and the fact that Americans are so scared of everything. It was just another moment of me realizing how little I, and most Americans, know about world politics. He knew just about everything that has happened in American politics over the last 20 years, and I couldn't even tell him who the president of South Africa was. Must improve.

Two funny(sort of) things happened yesterday. During the SA match, the power went completely out 2 or 3 times. I leaned over and asked the girl next to me if they really do say TIA(This Is Africa) whenever things like this happen. She said that that was exactly what TIA meant and that they use it all the time. So, later that night at the game, I waited in line for the handicapped restroom because there weren't any others on the entire level! As the two guys behind me and I complained, I said, "Well, TIA." The both just nodded and we got on with the night.

6 comments:

  1. I thought the french played well they just didnt score. The African speed gave Mexico problems. The Mexicans and French will advance from this group

    ReplyDelete
  2. Question,
    The fields are real grass right?
    They look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You may be right about group A. They are real grass to be the best of my knowledge. About to watch Algerian/Slovenia. Looking forward to seeing what we're up against next.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sup homie? Big J and I have decided to kick you and Brentos in the nuts next time we see you. Jealousy's a bitch. But for reals, rock on brothers.
    Le G

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks mate. Well, it's been a hell of a ride so far. Actually, starting to feel normal and acquainted with the surroundings. Pretty low key the last couple of days. Probably get wound up again tonight.

    ReplyDelete